Throughout the course of my engagement I was gifted many cookbooks. I am talking somewhere in the teens. And what a perfect gift! I truly love being in the kitchen and feel a sense of accomplishment when I try something new or have someone say mmmmmm. I initially shied away from Martha Stewart’s Great Food Fast. I realize that it didn’t say “great fast food” but just the words together in a sentence really threw me off! I couldn’t even look at her- and she’s turquoise! outrageous. I completely neglected her for the first month of our marriage. And then I decided to get over myself and take a peek. AND are you kidding me?! the thing is dog-eared to death! Purchase this book now. Not a thing has been anything but EASY and DELICIOUS and QUICK.
here is the recipe to my new favorite salad:
1. First heat the broiler
2. brush a baking sheet with oil (olive oil please)
3. place 3 large red potatoes (about one pound) in a medium suacepan and bring to a boil. (leave them there for about 20-25 minutes, until fork-tender).
4. In a shallow bowl, whisk one large egg, with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
5.Then place breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
6. slice the goat cheese into 8 rounds ( Side note: if you freeze it for a few minutes, it is much easier to slice.)
7. Pat each goat cheese round into a disk that is about 1/2 inch thick.
8. Dip the disks into the Egg bowl, then into the breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
9. now for the DELICIOUS dressing. seriously my mouth is watering and i just ate! get a large bowl and whisk together 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of grainy or dijon mustard (i used grainy from williams sonoma- brand is braswell. Oh. my gosh. so good.) and then another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Then slowly add 1/4 of a cup of olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Then set this delectable treat aside.
10. Brush the disks lightly with a little olive oil and put them into broil for approx. 5 minutes. or until golden and crisp.
11. Your potatoes should be done. Rinse them in cold water and when they are cool enough for you to touch, cut them into 1 inch chunks.
12. Then toss the mixed greens and potatoes in the dressing.
13. your goat cheese disks are done i bet! don’t forget to take them out.
13. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with 2 cheese disks.
And there you have it: a little salad straight from heaven.
you may need this. i do. *The goat cheese prayer:
Lord help me restrain myself from not making the cheese disks and instead eat the entire block by. myself. I know it is possible. Give me discipline. Amen.