Roasted Cornish Hens with Grapes
(one of my favorite cook books)
- 1 1/2 lbs. red and green seedless grapes
- 8 shallots, root end intact, halved if large
- 6 sprigs of thyme, plus more leaves for hens
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 (1 – 1 1/4 lb.) Cornish game hens*
*Substitution: Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts – 10-12 oz. each
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F).
2. Toss together grapes, shallots and thyme sprigs with olive oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.
3. Rinse the hens and pat dry, then tie the legs together with twine. (I just use thread from my sewing kit!)
4. Nestle hens among the grapes on the baking sheet, breast side up. Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
5. Roast, basting the hens occasionally with pan juices, until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the leg reads 160 degrees (F), about 30-35 minutes.
Got a favorite cookbook? Please share.