Like I said yesterday, I loved New Orleans with our kids. I know it seems like it might not be too family friendly, but it can be. Just stay away from Bourbon! That’s true of any big city, there’s always an area you probably shouldn’t take your kids.
There were a ton of suggestions on my IG post, and so many readers reached out separately to let us know what they suggest with kids too. THANK YOU! Y’all made our time there so much better. It was a stressful time, and we wanted to distract the kids as much as possible.
Now I definitely want to come back soon, so we can check off this list of ten things to do here:
- The Audobon Zoo – It is a beautiful zoo. I remember going here as a kid, so it’s special to take my own boys. Even on a Saturday it wasn’t too packed at all.
2. The Insectarium – The boys LOVED this. And even ate a cricket cookie! I don’t love bugs AT ALL, but somehow was fine with them being behind the glass. I loved the ants the most. Watching them work was so fun.
3. The street car! The boys could have done this all day. You can take it all over, and the drivers were all very kind. Basically any sort of public transport, and my kids are in heaven.
4. Pizza Domenica – the boys loved watching the pizza be made. it’s loud in there, which works great when you have kids with you. We went to the one on Magazine Street. and then walked to St. Charles for ice cream at Creole Cremery. So so good!
These ones we didn’t get a chance to do, but hope to one day soon.
5. Storyland is in city park and it has colorful sculptures from nursery rhymes and cute old timey rides. So many suggested having a beignets at Morning Call and then playing in Storyland.
6. The French Library – This place looks so dreamy. It’s an adorable bookstore, with story time every week, and ukelele lessons offered too.
7. Audobon aquarium of the Americas- I haven’t been to this aquarium in a decade, but I loved it then.
8. Louisiana Children’s Museum – I can remember loving this as a kid. I hear it’s still awesome!
9. Take a ride on the Natchez steamboat. My kids would have loved this!
10. Jazz Brunch – I know my kids would have had so much fun at one of these.
Restaurants people recommended that were good for kids
- Parkway Po-Boys
- Pizza Domenica
- La Petite Grocery
- The Ruby Slipper Cafe
- Cafe Du Monde or Morning Call for Beignets
- Port Of Call – home of my favorite burger of all time
Are you a local with more suggestions? We would love to hear them!!